The following list is simply one long time Christian music fans eighteen wishes regarding Christian music. It’s a just-for-fun list of the things I’m hoping for, or that I’d like to see happen. I realize that outside of an actual time machine some are impossible, but hey, one can dream right?! Here we go…
1. I wish my favorite band Jars of Clay would release some new music. Even one original song would do! I miss them ?.
2. I wish that people criticizing Christian musicians like Lauren Daigle/Lecrae for appearing on talk shows would chill, and be happy that their influence is expanding.
3. I wish Dc Talk would figure this out and do a stadium tour already. Please!?! (A new album with Paul Meany or Rick Rubin producing would be welcome too.)
4. I wish that the music industry didn’t chew up and spit out so many of their artists contributing to many deconstructing and/or leaving their faith. (And that the church/Christians didn’t kick them while they’re down.)
5. I wish Caedmon’s Call was still making music.
6. I wish that Christian radio would get brave and include a better balance of artistry even if it cost them some money.
7. I wish that Relient K would do a follow up to their Air For Free album.
8. I wish every live music fan could see Twenty One Pilots in concert at least once.
9. I wish Mac Powell and David Nasser would make another Glory Revealed album.
10. I wish there was a radio station that played a mix of all fifty years of Christian music’s history.
11. I wish that Switchfoot’s Native Tongue album was already out. I am impatient to hear it!
12. I wish that Needtobreathe would get on a new full length album, and it would be full on rock & roll with guitars galore.
13. I wish I had been able to see Rich Mullins and Keith Green in concert.
14. I wish that we could reclassify “Christian Music” to church music (for corporate church use) and then everything else join the mainstream market. Sink or swim time!
15. I wish more people knew and appreciated bands/artists like Future of Forestry, Rivers & Robots, John Van Deusen, Chris Renzema, Jetty Rae, The Gray Havens, and Matthew Perryman Jones.
16. I wish I could travel back in time to attend the cornerstone music festival during the 90’s.
17. I wish that I had seen the following bands in concert in their prime at least once…Burlap to Cashmere, All Star United, Smalltown Poets, Big Tent Revival, The Waiting, Seven Day Jesus, and Sixpence None The Richer.
18. I wish that I could say that I don’t still own multiple Carman albums. Haha, just kidding, I can’t help myself. I still know all the words to “Soap Song” and “Step of Faith,” among others. “Who’s in the house” anyone?! I mean who?
Well, there you have it…my grown up Christmas…uhhh…Christian Music (wish) list. I’d love to hear yours. Leave them in the comments below!